Saturday 6 December 2008

Linden Labs Second Life accounts terminated

Headline: Linden Labs Second Life accounts terminated

Dated: 6th December 2008

Source: River Ely

Rivers-Islands.com

I started in Second life in September 2006 by creating an account and downloading the viewer. A large software package that was frail, it easily crashed and caused my internet bandwidth to rise from kilobytes per month, through mega bytes and into the giga bytes. Addiction was quick.

Over the next few months we learned what could be done in Second Life, and we learned of the possibilities, they seemed endless, there was something un-limiting about the entire immersive experience. It may have been digital, but it seemed to be so real. It took moments to realise the onscreen characters were, like my own, manipulated by real people, real world views, concepts, choices, idioms, everything! All coming together in a common location in the ethereal three dimension electronic reality transmitted from unknown servers on another planet, or so it seemed.

Today I closed several accounts. I did not abandon them, I transferred the Linden Dollars to my sub account and then selected each in turn for closure. The inventory is mostly no transfer, so nothing gets to be kept these days, and without another ‘Second Life’ to use them in, they are so much wasted funds. I have closed just nine accounts, some seven hundred US Dollars and a total of six quarterly closed accounts saving me on renewal fees. The dollar value lost today to me is about a thousand dollars in inventory losses.

Each account had a character that was unique and had a life of their own. The names are:-
Adia Bury, portrayed in the end as a black skinned gay male, he was used to demonstrate to bigots that homophobia hurts everyone.
Lief Ella, A darling of a girl who loved to have fun.
Caela Shepherd, so close to my own natural identity and created to allow a close friend to explore her own needs in SL.
Arel Allen, I devised to fly around my sims and locate ban lines as an estate owner, I never saw the ban lines, and I did not want my residents to have their second life experience degraded so Arel Allen became the ‘crash dummy’.
Kaela Kingsford, she was my gift to my partner, she played the part of the submissive, and it did not last long.
Lucy Newall, created to explore the sex industry on SL.
River Riggles, A demonic girl and angry at the world and the idiots that run it. She showed them their weaknesses in spades, she made enemies where other people were willing to turn a blind eye and walk away.
Kizzy Kerr, created in the United States, my home and my part of Floridian America. And finally,
Susan Seaton, Author, Creator, Pain in the rear end.




One of the above is the real me. All of them have traits that combine to make me. Each account meant something, they were not bots, and they were active paid for accounts that allowed me to have several different but essential versions of my own real life in the virtual world of Second Life.

Transcript Ends: Accounts Closed Permanently.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what?

Cheap Lots in Samara Costa Rica said...

These articles are fantastic; the information you show us is interesting for everybody and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it...: Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica