Monday 10 November 2008

Second Life and their constantly changing politics.

I was building something in Second Life when the Concierge common chat group chimed with a new message”. Torrid offered a Full region (or Sim) for sale, Tier date 13th, unique swamp woodsy build that can stay. Please IM me
We asked for the price and he gave us the asking price.

I said “I realised something last night, we have all been hoodwinked by Linden labs into believing that we are buying islands, islands that don’t exist, other grids charge a 'set up' fee, and that makes sense, so an island that has been set up once, would only need transferring, so it should be pointless selling an island, because in reality, your only asking for the reimbursement of your set up fee, whole different ball game”

Chade agreed with “You are right River...though I was lucky”

I continued “What so annoys me on this realization, is for a while linden labs were charging us 1760 USD set up fee, and those of us who bought have nothing to sell but the current set up fee, crazy. I don’t think they actually thought about it to be honest, I think someone said wouldn't it be a good idea if... and the ass lickers chimed in with "yes indeed Mr Linden Sir".
Torrid added “Well for me this is a hobby and my sim is a role play sim. It is dealing with the constant complaints and whining that I am tired of dealing with or paying to entertain others”.

This prompted Chade, “I have argued with tenants for hours about it is better for them to rent from me than to buy...but I finally gave up....now I say if you want to pay me to take risk be my guest”.

Meanwhile, I was typing, “So maybe it is a result of many things, miss conceptions, poor thinking and the inability for Linden Labs to refute a misconception, instead they let it roll and roll and roll, and after five thousand sales, tell us the way they think it should be. I too tire now of constant wining, but now as I am more in OpenLifegrid then SecondLife , I don’t care, I rent my regions out for cost plus vat and if they stay they stay , if they leave, I sell or close the island. I have some good friends on my regions now, not just 'customers' so it is theirs as long as they stay.”

“I found giving them their own rights etc took a weight of work away from me”, I said and continued with “, best thing I did, they sort it out themselves instead of asking me all the time”.

Maybe the Lindens did get it wrong, but what seems to matter now, is they are getting too much too wrong and it is causing people to leave, and tired of their indecision and constant rule changes. The only constant seems to be the need for the Lindens to treat us like cash sources and find ways to soak us for more money. Changing their promises is a defacto standard in Second Life and more and more it becomes ‘caveat Emptor’

No comments: