Thursday 30 October 2008

Letter to Linden Labs CEO

Dear Mr Linden.

I enjoyed being able to rent out sims to your customers. I bought islands, they made communities. I and my friends were proud of your customers and felt good about the fair offer we made. We offered a nice place to live, with enough rules to keep it safe and simple. People loved it. I grew the business to a dozen islands. Then this year, our customer started to leave, in ones and twos and then more. They were going to open sims. You were selling them so cheap and with the uneven playing field, USA sellers were selling at 10% profit, far less than the tax of 17.5% I had to pay. I could not compete.



As my islands emptied I sold some at a loss to other players or gave them away or even had them switched off. You were getting over 4000 USD a month from me, solid payments and I was just a small fry. I, and others like me, more than paid our way.



Permit me, but your biggest mistake was failing to come to the land owners that had been earning you the money first and explaining that you were having an issue with loading of the Open Space sims. I feel terribly confident, the skills gained by others like myself, would have been able to create sound and simple objectives to enable you to redefine the way sims are used and charged for, and we could have done it without the massive disruption your announcement has created.



It is too late now of course, as the gaffe is blowing up now badly, but then my island holding has dwindled to one full sim and four voids. You have hurt me a great deal. You have hurt many of my friends and competitive enemies alike. We have lost faith in your ability to manage the second life experience to any positive degree Jack. I am hoping I get to sell what few sims I have left so that I can gracefully face a reduced holding without losing too much money. Jack, you didn’t communicate with your customers. Something we have been asking for since day one.


Yours


River Ely

CEO Rivers-Islands.Com

VAT Registered

No comments: